Permanent Visas

Many paths lead to permanent resident status, evidenced by a "green card", which allows foreign citizens to work and live in the U.S. indefinitely.

Through the Alien Labor Certification process, employers who prove to the Department of Labor that they cannot find a qualified U.S. worker available in their geographic area may petition on behalf of their employees for permanent residence. Multinational managers transferring to the U.S. from foreign affiliates, outstanding researchers and individuals of extraordinary ability, as well as foreign citizens whose work is in the national interest, may bypass Alien Labor Certification and apply for permanent resident status.

U.S. citizens and lawful permanent residents may also apply for green cards for their spouses and children. Only citizens may apply for green cards for a parent, married son or daughter, or sibling.

Permanent residence is an important milestone on the way to U.S. citizenship. Careful planning is required to ensure that employees and family obtain permanent resident status before their temporary stay in the U.S. or eligibility expires.


Pathways to Permanent Residence




Diversity Visa Lottery