TN Visas under NAFTA

Pursuant to the North America Free Trade Agreement ("NAFTA"), Treaty National ("TN") visas are available for certain professional workers who are citizens Canada and Mexico. The United States, Canada and Mexico have agreed in the North Atlantic Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) on a list of eligible professions and required credentials. TN professionals may work in the U.S. for up to one year. The TN employee may apply for renewals

Canadian TN workers present their papers at the border and usually enter the same day. In the case of Mexican TN workers the employer must file a petition with the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services, which can take from four to six weeks for approval and which must include a Labor Condition Application, as in H-1B petition processing.


Pathways to Temporary Residence



Exchange Visitor