Exchange Visitors (J-1)

Exchange Visitors come to the U.S. through various types of programs. In order to obtain a visa, an Exchange Visitor must have an IAP 66 or IAP-66 DS-2019 Certificate of Eligibility for Exchange Visitor status.

The Department of State designates Program Sponsors and their authorized representatives. Universities, research programs, corporate research facilities, museums, libraries, U.S. federal state or local government agencies, and summer camps are among the many different kinds of program sponsors. Students, short-term scholars, trainees, teachers, professors and research scholars, specialists, physicians pursuing graduate medical education or training, international visitors, government visitors, camp counselors, and au pairs are the most frequent J-1 visa applicants.


Pathways to Temporary Residence



Exchange Visitor