INS to Start Issuing Work Authorization for Spouses of L-1 and E Workers

March 1, 2002 - The Immigration Service has now issued guidelines which permit spouses of the holders of L and E visas to to apply for work authorization documents (EADs).

Effective immediately, eligible spouses can apply with the Regional Service Center, along with the $120 fee and evidence of their relationship to the holder of the L (intracompany transferee) or E (treaty trader or investor) visa. Applications can also be made concurrently with Applications to Extend Status.

While INS has not yet promulgated new regulations to implement the law, they have confirmed that they will now start accepting applications, and will begin to issue work authorization cards (which are necessary to commence employment) in the near future. As a result, it is expected that thousands of applications for this new type of open market employment authorization will be made in the coming weeks.


Recent Updates

Links to Related Websites